The Colonial Art in Venezuela
Contrary to what is commonly believed, the artistic legacy of the Spanish period in Venezuela was very rich. However, the successive wars of the nineteenth century ended up not only with this heritage, but also with the Venezuelan tradition of treasuring the belongings of their ancestors. Moreover, different studies that have been conducted have shown that there was an artistic flowering that produced many valuable testimony, sometimes as important as those of other American colonies.
Since the late nineteenth century, there were people who became aware of the irreparable loss of that legacy and began to collect objects, paintings, furniture, etc., in order to save them from destruction. Appeared then the first Venezuelan colonial art collectors, who were given the task of tracing at the homes of old families, sacristías, pawnshops and even garbage trucks, where, for example, were found four chairs that served during the the signing of the minutes of Independence.
The collections that were formed then were heterogeneous, suffering the consequences of the almost total ignorance of the modern conservation and restoration techniques.
However, the passion and brotherhood that came from refining collectors of the early decades of the century, were saved led to many of the masterpieces of that colonial period.
Milestones and dates:
• December 1939: First Colonial Art Show, organized by the Directorate of the Ministry of National Education, which took place in the newly opened Museum of Fine Arts.
• October 28, 1942: creation of the Venezuelan Association of Friends of Colonial Art and the Museum of Colonial Art in Caracas, the two institutions founded by Dr. Alfredo Machado Hernandez.
• December 16, 1942: Inauguration of the Museum of Colonial Art in Caracas in the house on the corner of Llaguno, faithfully restored as evidence found in the exploration of its original structure.
• 1953: Demolition of the house of Llaguno after fierce controversy during the government of General Marcos Perez Jimenez. The museum is closed for a period of eight years.
• June 23, 1958: Grant of the Fifth of the Nation Anauco Venezuelan brothers Eraso. The Association meet again to restore the building and install the museum there.
• October 12, 1961: Inauguration of the Museum of Colonial Art in its permanent seat on the Fifth of Anauco. The museum operates under the direction and care of the Venezuelan Association Friends of Colonial Art.
The Venezuelan Association Friends of the Colonial Art holds weekly different cultural events in the Hall of Multiple Uses "Carlos Rodriguez Landaeta".
• Proprietary Concerts under the auspices of the Association for Chamber Music, which manages Prof. Florian Ebersberg.
• Activities Saturdays Shows varied: recitals, sketches, theater, choral groups... under the auspices of CONAC and other sponsoring institutions.
• Conferences are regularly offered conferences with recognized experts on topics of national interest.
Address: Av. Panteón, San Bernardino
Phone: 551.81.90 / 42.56 / 86.50 / 85.17 (Tlf./Fax)
Admission to the museum:
Children and Students: Bs. F. 2,50 (Bs. 2.500)
Adults: Bs F. 5,00 (Bs. 5.000)
MUSEUM AND SIGHTSEEING
CHURCHES AND TEMPLES